Thursday Thirteen: Things True Friends Eventually Learn
1. I was born in Santiago, Chile, and have never gone back. Whoever said young children don’t remember what goes on around them is wrong, at least in this case. It is what it is.
2. People often have a tough time figuring out my ethnicity, and seem surprised when they learn I speak Spanish. I have had people speak Persian to me so often I think I need to learn the language.
3. I’ve tried and failed to not be sentimental, but I still get all weepy when I hear Mercedes Sosa singing “Gracias a la Vida”. I also get like that when separated from the women in my family for too long.
4. I was thirteen years old before I became conscious of the concept of race. I will forever have contempt in my heart for the woman who railed at my mother for allowing me to date “that black boy” who supposedly had only one thing on his mind. We were thirteen you narrow, bigoted old crow.
5. When I was a kid I wanted to be a writer, an aid worker, an ambassador with the UN, a photojournalist, an artist, a something for the National Geographic Society. Now I’ll settle for finding the things that connect us and bind us to each other, no title necessary.
6. I live in a tiny condo with one partner-in-crime, two cats, and a whole lot of dreams. It gets kinda crowded. It is my oasis, and I open it’s doors only to those I hold in my heart.
7. I’ve opted to get out of the gene pool. Yes, I love children. No, I don’t want any of my own. No, this is not a judgment on your decision to have kids, I’m sure you’re happy. Let me be happy in my own way, muy bien?
8. I’m a Taurus who tends to take people at face value. I WANT to like you, and have a bad habit of being loyal even when it’s not merited.
9. That being said, I like to think I’m unlike my Taurean kin and am not THAT materialistic. One look at my wish lists for photographic equipment, books and travel make me stop lying to myself real darn fast.
10. I seem unable to focus on just one thing. In my world, one interest spawns another interest which spawns another interest which relates to the first interest and connects to the second… Stream-lined? No. Free-form? Yes.
11. My personal beliefs are on the flaky end of the continuum. I’m finally coming to terms with that, and no, I will not sit still and quiet while someone tells me why I should change my mind and follow their path. I’m not a radical. I’m just working it out for myself.
12. I’m for a lot of things: love, optimism, giggles, sex, silliness, warm laps, great hugs, yoga, the opportunity to love who you love without fear of reprisal, good books, companion animals, the right to arm bears, the protection of animals, the protection of people, the protection of this sad and tired and angry mother we call earth.
13. Holding on to hope and optimism – that’s what I’m proudest of. At the end of the day, I still believe that at heart, people are good. Now to give them encouragement to show it more often…
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!